09 July 2017

Catching up.


            It has been a long time coming!...last I updated Darryl’s Digest, back in February of ’16, I found myself in the midst of the 2nd semester (of 4) in Palomar College’s RN Program. In that time I put to bed my nursing school aspirations and turned it into a reality.
            Thursday, May 25th, 2017 I was pinned by my wife (an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) RN), Megan, bringing to an end my journey started in April of 2009 when I enrolled in my first prerequisite for nursing school, albeit at National University (NU). Unfortunately, by April 2012, I found myself out of NU’s accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program, without a degree after some technical difficulties. No matter, come Easter, Megan and I were engaged and before the end of the year we found ourselves hitched.
            Fast-forward to June 2017, the 21st to be exact, I faced the final challenge on my path to becoming a Registered Nurse (RN); I sat for my National Council Licensure Examination-Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN); only after nearly 5 hours and 265 questions had passed, did I finish. Early (before 0400, 4AM for the non-24-hour clock fans) June 24th, Megan, who was at work at the time, texted me to let me know that I was successful. I passed. I am an RN! w00t! After verifying my license number myself and firing off a quick message to my wife and a co-worker, I took a little time to sit by myself, verklempt, having a little chat with mom.
            Mom! That reminds me, I received word about being accepted to the Palomar College RN Program the self-same day that she passed. After a diagnosis of cancer that had metastasized in the vicinity of Memorial Day weekend, 2014, and a very poor prognosis, an estimated life expectancy of a month, Mom fought on for 10. Before she left, Megan and I were able to let her know that we had a little girl on the way who’d be carrying on her name, in the middle at least; little Violet Josefina.
            Little Violet’s coming was a whole ‘nother story of its own, beyond the ordeal that is birth. In the span of a week, August 30 – September 4, 2017 (Sunday to Friday)…let me tell you about that week. On Sunday, August 30th, 2017, Megan’s aunt Chris-Ann passed away unexpectedly whilst on the road to recovery from a series of ailments. Tuesday, September 1st, 2017, Violet Josefina made her appearance with little over an hour left in the day. Finally, on Friday, September 4th, 2017, Megan’s father, Roger, passed away (he suffered a major brain bleed on August 18th, while I was at the 2nd day of my nascent Palomar College RN Program experience).
            Back to the future we head again, on to June 29th, 2017, it was a Thursday; I had the great opportunity to sit for an interview for a local hospital for 3 RN positions I hoped to possibly work in. I was still in disbelief of becoming an RN, but there I was, on the cusp of an opportunity to become a real-live, employed, RN! It was more like speed-dating as me and 6 candidates faced 7 different panels with 10 minutes to talk to each. Of the 10 groups of candidates interviewing over the 28th and 29th, for a total of 70 suitors, we were the last. Amongst the lot of us, only 30 opportunities existed. Game on! :P
            Days later, as I awaited the results of my speed-dating for a new job interview, I was at work, on my last shift as a non-RN. Thankfully, it was a short shift I spent on the floor. Unfortunately, it was because I was kicked in the head and had to be evaluated and told I had a concussion. You win some, you lose some. In the end, I won; as of last Friday, July 7th, I received an email from my prospective employer. Like my wife, I too was going to be an ICU RN. wow. Wow. WOW!
            Much like finding out I had passed my NCLEX-RN, I still have some disbelief I’m processing of the whole thing. Later in the day, I received an email from another prospective employer about their interest in my application to another ICU RN position and forwarding it to their hiring manager; bringing to mind the adage, ‘when it rains, it pours’. No word yet on an interview or further steps yet, but I feel good about my chances.
            So, that’s about it, barring the minutiae of my life over the last year or so. As other thoughts and memories come to mind, I’m sure they’ll find their way here on Darryl’s Digest. Until then…

No comments: