15 September 2011

Roots.

               “Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose” – February 4, 2001 was an interesting and exciting day for me. After months of learning, studying, and praying I took a big step away from my life as a Catholic from birth, by being baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; I became a Mormon. A curious step from any casual observer, obviously.
               My life as a Mormon, overall, was a good one. As a new member of the church, my zealousness often shone through. Eventually, the newness wore off and I went about as a run-of-the-mill member; doing as best I could. Over the more than ten years that have passed, I have had many great experiences. Some of those experiences will live with me throughout life. In fact the remnants of those experiences still show up in my blog on recent posts. I’ve had the opportunity to meet many great people through my association in the church and will forever be grateful for the contributions they’ve made in my life during that time.
               Now, however, is a new time. And in becoming anew, I’ve simply gone back to my Catholic roots. After attending mass (without taking communion, mind you) with the folks for the last few months because my clinical schedule kept me out of sacrament meeting on Sundays, I decided it’d be time to really consider what it was I was doing or where I was at in life. Sparing you the psychoanalytical and meta-physical wrangling of personal thought and prayer, it was time to go back to my roots. This wasn’t simply a cursory shift back to my life as a practicing Catholic during my pre-Mormon days, but a (hopefully) more balanced, sophisticated, adult approach.
               Shortly thereafter, on an otherwise unmemorable Saturday afternoon, the last in August, I took it upon myself to visit with the priest during confession, attend mass, and finally receive communion. As mentioned, I appreciate my experience as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Mormon, it will always be a part of me. I, however, am no longer a member of the church. I am a Catholic. The zealousness I held as a Mormon manifests itself these days as an enthusiastic Catholic who goes to church and looks to get involved. Choir has always been fun...

2 comments:

soybeanlover said...

Good luck on your new beginning. May it bring you joy in the good times, and Peace in the bad.

Darryl said...

Thanks Nicole, it's good to hear from you and to see your little (mis)adventures with the kiddos on Google+!