09 April 2011

Rad Retro Rides

               That last blog post was a psychoanalytical blast! Hope it was as interesting for you all as it was for me. (: On to more pressing matters. I love me a good two-wheeled transport. Be it motorcycle or be it bike, it's hard to say if I prefer one over the other. One thing is for sure; I prefer 2 wheels over 4 for most instances. Over the course of more than 4 years, I've enjoyed that sexy, Silver-Bullet Ducati of mine, aptly named Giuliana because of her beautiful, timeless look and performance. There she is down below surrounded by a couple of sweet 749s.               
            I've enjoyed my push bikes immensely, however, they have suffered less staying power, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I've enjoyed them all and have put on hundreds of miles on them. In considering Giuliana's new garage mate, I was looking for something that really spoke to my interests, beyond wheeling around. My last ride, the Cannondale Hooligan 3, was an awesome, different bike that offered a great mix of performance and mischief in a very unique looking package. I was quite confident that it would be a long-term part of my collection. And for awhile that was the case. Then, one day, while perusing the internoodle for a steel framed mountain bike, I stumbled upon...
            That, my friends, is the Trek-Gary Fisher Collection-Sawyer. The draw proved too much as the Sawyer seemed to embody my personal sense of style, which based on Giuliana, is rooted in the retro look with modern accoutrements. Steel, cruiser-style, twin top-tube mountain bike frame; retro...check! 29-inch wagon wheels, disk brakes, SRAM/Bontrager components; modern...check! Much like with the limited edition Ducati, Giuliana, the Sawyer was not an easy bike to find. It may not be what you think, however. Instead of countless droves of fans appreciative of the classic styling snatching up every retro Ducati or Trek/Fisher mountain bike, many simply want the newest (looking) thing out there; which I'm definitely fine with. Because the Sawyer was considered a niche product, none of the local bike shops (LBS) stocked her. Even the Trek factory stores didn't dare bring one into the store without a deposit. Luckily, I received word that my favorite (most of the time) shop, Black Mountain Bicycles (BMB), was bringing one in for Matt, the head mechanic. Matt, being the awesomeness that he is told me to come in when his ride came in to give it a good flogging to make sure I liked it before dropping the money. Awesome!
               I still remember the day I saw the box at BMB like it was Christmas. I was excited. I knew that it would still be a couple of days until it would get assembled, but I knew it was there. I could hardly wait to swing a leg over it for a nice long ride. I used it as motivation for dealing with the pressure of adjusting to nursing school. And what a motivation it was. Being sick, Matt was unable to keep tabs on its assembly, so I had to wait almost a whole week before I could see the bike in the flesh. It was soooooo worth it. Sooooo worth it. I finally had a chance to take it for a spin. Yay! It was awesome!!! I was definitely put an order down for one. Then came the bombshell...Matt was relegating it to the floor because he got his hands on a Superfly (Carbon Mountain Bike) frame for cheap (née free) and was looking to build that up! Before my last mental synapse was done processing what I heard I was already primed to sign the papers to make her mine. It was a foregone conclusion.
               This week I brought her home. I have yet to name her as I continue to get to know her with ever increasing rides. The 29er is a new experience. It takes a tiny bit more effort to accelerate, especially compared to the 20-inch Hooligan, but once it gets going...ooh boy get out of the way. The momentum is great. The greater top-speed is nice as well. That said, I love being in a lean. The 29er allows me to lean over more, while pedaling through. Score! To say I am twitterpated with my new ride is the understatement of the year...so far. Well, here she is after a recent shakedown run, equipped with lights in preparation for some commuter runs.
The reflectors and pizza-plate have, obviously, all been taken care of. Up next, hopefully, will be an upgrade to all X.0 in black/grey. It may take some time. Regardless, almost like a doting dad, "ain't she pretty?" Until next time (not too long, really) friends...

No comments: