So,
it's been a little while since I've touched this blog. From my last substantial
update, a few things have come about; sufficient to provide me fodder for this
post. I can't promise that recount any my experiences in a chronological order,
so I'll just jump in with whatever comes to mind.
If I
were to give some conjecture regarding my recent absence from the blogosphere,
it'd probably center around excess Facebook use. With many nursing school
classmates operating Facebook accounts, it was only fitting that I do so as
well. It's been fun to be able to connect to some friends on Facebook, as I've
managed to limit the number of contacts I maintain to those I actually
communicate with or otherwise have a special interest in maintaining contact.
More on that later. Unfortunately, Facebook, as it has before, has called out
to me on numerous occasions when I could've been engaged in more productive
activities. Alas, I have tried to balance it out with other activities.
Speaking of Facebook and activities, Christian, one of the cohort-mates,
suggested we take a class picture. And it went a little something like this...
Besides
the desire for increased social interaction amongst my nursing student peers, I
suppose I may have justified the use of Facebook to myself with my run at the
student nursing association presidency. However, that was a flimsy excuse at
best, if not completely unconnected. My run to the presidency, unfortunately,
was not successful. The news of my loss was generally expected and in the end a
welcome bit of news. The advent of the mythically difficult Medical-Surgical
Nursing course beckons this week and so I was slightly uneasy at tossing my hat
into the student organization ring. That said, I would've relished the
opportunity to try to wrangle some power the right way.Class and the related politics have taken a good amount of my time. Luckily, I've been able to manage some social interactions. The usual suspects have been around, though in varying degrees. Alice enjoyed a 2-week adventure in Europe as a way to unwind from all the stress of deciding her future; a future that will soon bring her to the vicinity of Palo Alto, California as she faces a rigorous 1-year, graduate affair in studying Education at Leland Stanford Junior University. The familiarity with that name comes with the recognition that that is in fact the formal name of Stanford University. Juliana has been busy with dental school, obviously, though the rigor has seemingly subsided. With more free time, Juliana has decided to pursue a role in student government by representing her clinic. Despite a good ole college try, with many supporters to boot, like I, Juliana was unsuccessful in her bid.
With nursing school, I had high hopes. Hopes of lifelong friendships forged in the shared suffering of learning to care for our fellow human beings. Unfortunately, many of my cohort have turned out to be immature, vindictive creatures. Despite many of you knowing that I fit in well when it comes to immaturity, this group was a little much. A few choice students in this group decided to bring it to a whole new level. Say hello to high school drama all over again because of their stupidity. Luckily, the voice of reason has slowly begun to grow within the group. Because of the emerging voice amongst our group, I am hopeful that my high expectations may yet be met.
Despite the uncoolness of a few vocal members in my nursing school cohort, I've been able to get along with all of them on some level or another. Besides the individual girls, and other random meets and dates, my wish for further peer interactions was met when I began attending some of the activities put on by fellow cohort members. One such activity was a study break at Dave & Buster's, last Thursday, the 26th, prior to our Nursing Fundamentals final on the 28th. It was a fun time, playing games, eating food, hanging out and enjoying the company of classmates and friends. The impression to leave early unfortunately went unheeded, and I was eventually greeted by this when I returned to my box...
Some rat bastard decided to bust in my driver-side window
and grab my old iPhone 3GS that I was using as the iPod in my box. Forget about
the EK Oakley Frogskins, Alice's car and house keys, just take the old iPhone.
As with the pukes who nabbed Rebecca, if I ever find you lowlifes, I will kill
you. And yes, you are worth less than the window or the cost of that small
electronic gadget. Ahem.With a fun night like that, and the resultant telling of the parental units of another personal failure outside of my control, effective preparation for my final exam in Fundies probably ended then. Just another stupid thing to deal with. Luckily, I have methods and means of dealing with stupid.
Retail therapy happens to be a favorite coping mechanism of mine. Another thing that I favor is Cars. Not just automobiles (which many dear friends know are a passion of mine), but the Disney-PIXAR creation. Even though the movie is nearly a month away from theatrical release, a street date of May 16th made a plethora of Cars 2 merchandise (toys!) available.
Besides the Mattel-made product, Cars 2 has made its way into a variety of other toy-making partnerships. With the impending Cars 2, I reverted/regressed to another age old passion of mine, LEGOs! How fortunate was I that LEGO and Disney-PIXAR teamed up together to create some Cars 2 sets? Being a tiny bit older than their intended crowd, I, at least, aimed to take on the more difficult sets in the series; something that LEGO decided to call the "Ultimate Builds." At the moment there are 3, Cars 2 Ultimate Builds.
Francesco Bernoulli and Lightning McQueen came into my possession at the same exact time. However, as an incentive to study (and get my mind off of that stupid burglary), they served as my reward for doing what I needed to prepare for my coming final exam. At the first study break, about a third of the way through, I decided that I had had enough torture and gave into building Lightning McQueen (and Guido).
number of decals with the build, however, made it a good
challenge. Despite giving in early, I promised myself that I would not move
onto constructing Francesco until I had reviewed all the material.
It
seemed like hours before I finally completed my academic tasks. And though it
neared late Friday/early Saturday, I decided to cash in my reward and build Francesco;
while Napoleon Dynamite played in the background.
Before hopping onto the LEGO website, I was unaware that another Ultimate Build existed. However, as Napoleon Dynamite continued to run and Francesco sat on my shelf finished, I decided to see what LEGO was up to, in regards to Cars 2 and otherwise. In the Cars 2 section, obviously, Ultimate Build Mater stood out. I had to find him. I knew Target didn't have him. And by the end of Saturday, I knew Toys R Us didn't either. So, before Saturday ended, off to trusty Walmart I traipsed, not expecting to find anything worthy of report. How wrong was I? There was an Ultimate Build Mater, New-In-Box, sitting on the shelf, calling out my name.
I suppose, in very advanced preparation, I've been riding the Sexy Sawyer, which should come as no surprise to my 3 regular followers. I've yet to settle on a proper name for my bike, so she continues to be referred to as the Sexy Sawyer.
This weekend turned out to be an extended weekend, with Memorial Day falling yesterday. With that extra day, the parental units and I were able to pay the Madsen's a visit. It turned out to be fun as usual with Evanito and little Nolan.
Visiting with the little nephews was a welcome end to my
silly week. Boo last week! Yippee for this week! So far. We all played and
enjoyed ourselves until our heart's were content. Evanito and I tired ourselves
out for nap-time. As for little Nolan, he was pooped (in fact, we all needed
some nap time) in the end as well, but he had fun getting there!
2 comments:
I know some small people who would be very jealous of your toys. I'm sure Evanito, and soon Nolan, is too. If Alice needs any points about living by the Bay, send her my way.
Nicole, you are awesome! You let those small people know that they're more than welcome to come and play with my collection. Evanito and Nolan too, of course. As for Alice, she'll be alright. Probably better than alright. She's a NorCal girl, by virtue of her birth and upbringing; her parents are only minutes away. I'll definitely pass on your info if she feels the need for extra support, however...haha. How are you?
Post a Comment